bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

My Easter Choice....

This is a German papermache egg and Stieff bunny available from Hearthsong....if I were buying decorations for Easter , this would have to be what I choose!

I had always wondered how the bunny came to have all those eggs. Today I was reading a post from Julie at
Celtic Woman ...her March 19th equinox post...and she had reference to the legend of the Easter Bunny (who is actually a hare)...

Then I found all of this on the Hallmark website.




Easter Bunny • The Easter bunny has its origins in pre-Christian fertility lore. Hares and rabbits served as symbols of abundant new life in the spring season. It really is a hare – not a rabbit – that symbolizes Easter. • From antiquity hares have been a symbol for the moon, and the first full moon after the vernal equinox determines the date for Easter.• Hares are born with their eyes open, while rabbits are born blind. The hare was thought never to blink or close its eyes, and it is a nocturnal creature, like the moon. The hare also carries its young a month before giving birth – like the changing moon erupting into fullness monthly.• According to one legend, the Easter bunny was originally a large, handsome bird belonging to the goddess Eostre. One day she magically changed her pet bird into a hare. Because the Easter bunny is still a bird at heart, he continues to build a straw nest and fill it with eggs.


12 comments:

Kelli said...

Oh, that is so pretty!!!

Kelli

Janet said...

The egg and bunny are just perfect and they would be something I would buy, too. I enjoyed the explanation about the Easter bunny. I never knew that! Thanks for sharing that story.

Julie said...

Lila,

You really added to my knowledge of the Easter hare. It is so interesting to read about the pre-Christian legends and learn why we celebrate occasions the way we do! Knowing my present situation, I am sure you realize why I have not put up my Easter decorations this year, but I do love Easter, especially its vintage decorations. Lovely photo!

Julie

Julie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
gma said...

What a great story....never knew that the bunny was once a bird!
Will share that with my grandchildren!!!

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

somewhere packed away in a seasonal box, in the infamous garagapalooza I have one or maybe even 2 of those eggs.
I read Celtic Woman's post (thank you for emailing her link btw) - it was really captivating and oh so interesting to say the least. I learned quite a lot. Thanks for sharing!!
XO

Daisy Lupin said...

I love hares, they are my favourite wild animal, I have a sculpture of a moon gazing hare in my garden. I also collect legends and folklore about hares.

Annie said...

So that's how the hare and eggs and easter baskets all go together. I could never figure that all out.

Elizabeth said...

That is so lovely, thankn you for that.
Thanks for the comment on my blog. I know what you mean - if I am not careful I soent more time on the computer than painting, which is awful.
Happy Easter!
E
xx

Laurie said...

love your bunny. Thanks for all the infor on the history of the Easter Bunny.

Happy Easter!

Mary Timme said...

Well, who knew? Not me. What is the difference between a rabbit and Hare? I don't know the difference.

Kelli said...

Dear Lila,
Wishing you and your family a wonderful Easter!
Kelli

Related Posts with Thumbnails